FOR SALE: 22.5" ALCOA'S & COMPLETE DISK-BRAKE KIT FOR FMC
andy1canada
Posted 2022-06-12 7:33 PM (#8060)
Subject: FOR SALE: 22.5" ALCOA'S & COMPLETE DISK-BRAKE KIT FOR FMC

Elite Veteran

Decided that I will part with my Alcoa’s and the disc brakes that they ran on. They came off an 82’ MCC/Barth motorcoach.

I would like to see them stay in the FMC community.

These parts are sold AS-IS. Buyer to confirm fitment and required parts/service to get them serviceable. (ie. caliper piston seal replacement etc).

These are 6-lug Alcoa’s (22.5” x 6.75”), lug-centered, 10-hole solid forged aluminum wheels. Hub center = 6.5” / Bolt circle = 8.75” (approx).

I REPEAT: THESE ARE SIX-LUG WHEELS.

The wheels have some scuffs & scratches but appear to be solid. I've put a few hours of work into them but they still need some polishing depending on preference.

There are many choices/brands of 22.5’s tires out there in the 36.5” dia range (see: 255/70 R22.5) that could work with an FMC. Buyer to confirm fitment.

If you are currently running on 33” tall tires with the OEM 440’/727 combo these 22.5’s and 36.5” tall tires you’ll knock the cruising rpm down to nearly 2500 rpm @ 60mph. That’s a full 10% less rpm wear & tear & heat on your engine and a noticeable fuel savings. Likely one of the most cost effective fuel saving mods for the buck.

If you're running a wide-ratio Allison overdrive, these are wheels you want to take to Bonneville to crack the Mo-Ho land speed record. I digress.

I will consider selling the Alcoa’s separately without the disk brake kit if someone has 6 lug hubs to mount these.

See the wheel pics here: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

DISK BRAKES: Front/rear rotors & calipers. Two sets of pads appear to have little use while the other two are toast.

Also included: 4 - NEW sets of pads (8 pcs) which are from a 74’ GM 1-ton application; 2 new flex brake hoses (buyer to confirm fitment); 4 caliper mount brackets; complete set of front & rear lug-nuts (left hand & right hand thread) as well as what appears to be nearly all the other nuts/bolts to literally bolt this stuff to your FMC.

Front rotors thickness (+/- .005): 1.370”, 1.385”. Rears: 1.406”, 1.401”.

Pics of brake kit also here: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

Offers accepted for 2 wks. I reserve the right to sell sooner if reserve is met.

Buyer pays shipping. FOB Victoria BC, Canada. V9C 4G7.

I will crate and pallet the works, no charge. If you need shipping weights I'll weigh it all for a serious buyer.

Questions/offers, email or call me. Thanks, Terry

silversaw@telus.net
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fmc708
Posted 2022-06-13 11:50 AM (#8062 - in reply to #8060)
Subject: Re: FOR SALE: 22.5" ALCOA'S & COMPLETE DISK-BRAKE KIT FOR FMC

Veteran

Hi Andy. I have disc brakes on the front of my coach (by some PO). But, I have the 19.5 Alcoas. I am wondering if they are the same system? Not expecting you to know, but thinking out loud here. My understanding was that they were probably from a transit back in the day.
andy1canada
Posted 2022-06-14 10:16 AM (#8063 - in reply to #8060)

Elite Veteran

Hi Greg,
They likely are, unless the PO was, or had access to, an engineering/machining genius for a custom job. It's sad really that all us FMC stalwarts don't have access to the RVS/MCR lifeline's any more. I use the term 'lifelines' loosely here as it's well known that owner experiences dealing with these two former establishments varied significantly.

That said, for those of us who like to dig into written data and specs on these old girls, there's much to be gleaned not just from our parts and service manuals (which are Godsends) but also from published company sales adverts; example, Leslie (MCR) put out quite a bit of stuff on the 5-lug and 6-lug disk brake kits he aimed at, both, the FMC and MCC/Barth markets. They offered up a standard single-piston 13"-rotor kit (I'm selling a 6-lug version currently) and an upgraded dual-piston 40,000/lb GVW 14"-rotor kit. Some of these kits found their way into the FMC community.

I would agree with you that all this likely sprung from the original FMC transit brake configuration.

Terry

Edited by andy1canada 2022-06-14 10:17 AM
Thomas Mencher
Posted 2023-06-19 11:52 AM (#8162 - in reply to #8062)

Contributor

Hi, I am #4, a 100% tenderfoot in all things FMC except for the fact that the old girl has spent the past four years suffering through a shop that used her as a place of prostitution, viz a pile of condoms and a pillow and blanket on the bed I discovered in a surprise visit, but we have both hung in there through many, many new parts, a rebuilt engine and tranny Alcoas and as they say, other things too numerous to mention. The latest mishap was the rear tire catching fire due to a poor brake job. My question is whether installing disc brakes would be a good idea, and what would be the cost? The shop that she is in now charges $120/hr. in labor. I appreciate your expert knowledge and advice.