FMC care and feeding
B. Sitton
Posted 2016-04-05 8:25 AM (#3411)
Subject: FMC care and feeding

Extreme Veteran

I just want to toss this out as spring often brings out the tool box. I am always being asked about how to do this and that. Then how about cheating and slipping the grease in past seals instead of doing the job right. Well that is how to lighten your wallet instead of your work load. Do the job right with the specified parts/grease because there are no new drums, axles, spindles or trailing arms being made to repair the coach after thermo-nuclear bearing failure (TNBF). Use the grease specified in the manual as the new fancy hi-tech grease will fail and you guessed it TNBF. I bought a coach, brought it home and removed the brake drums with only 5,000 miles on a bearing repack. Well that fancy red grease turns purple, brown then black along with just bearings. The specs and service procedures are their for your protection, not to make you jump through un necessary hoops.
Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dkarnath
Posted 2016-04-05 8:54 AM (#3412 - in reply to #3411)
Subject: RE: FMC care and feeding

Elite Veteran

Years ago, when I was really young, (still am for all I care), I had my first utility trailer. Well, every year I took off the bearing dust cap, pulled out the "outer" bearing, cleaned it up, shoved in some new grease inside the hub. Being lazy and not removing the inner bearing and replacing the grease seal worked great until I had a TNBF one day out on the road moving furniture....ruined the hub, scored the spindle. After that, I carried a spare hub and bearing set, and the remaining services on that trailer involved a new grease seal and BOTH bearings cleaned etc.....Everyone wanted this trailer I'm talking about in this story, It was well built with custom touches......and when it came time to sell, because I just didn't use it anymore, I sold it to a family friend who just loved the trailer, AND I could still use it anytime I needed a trailer! win, win, right? I had a really nice 50$ lock that came with the trailer, well, he didn't use that lock, and after two weeks of ownership, it was stolen right out of his driveway.....never to be seen again.....The city of Medford OR arrested some meth tweaker's who were caught steeling trailers and cutting them up for scrap. We think that was the demise of my old trailer The moral of the story is "Don't be lazy when dealing with wheel bearings, always use "wheel bearing grease" like from Napa or something, and lock the f'r up!! haha

Dan

Edited by dkarnath 2016-04-05 8:55 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page