Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pinion yoke used on diesel swap
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

hal
Posted 2021-11-07 1:16 AM (#7950)
Subject: Pinion yoke used on diesel swap

Regular

After browsing Len's great build thread I noticed he replaced the pinion yoke. I'm trying to gather some of the parts and pieces and wondered if the replacement was because of a ujoint compatibility issue between the 1410 and existing yoke or some other reason. Not much of a reason to reinventing the wheel if not required.
Thanks in advance, Hal
Top of the page Bottom of the page
B. Sitton
Posted 2021-11-07 8:52 AM (#7951 - in reply to #7950)
Subject: Re: Pinion yoke used on diesel swap

Extreme Veteran

The FMC driveshaft, pinion yoke and u joints used with the Allison are larger than the ones used with the Chrysler 727 transmission. Both are the bat wing style joints. It seems like Lynn went to a different type u joint.
I have a couple new larger differential yokes, a couple of the transit/Allison driveshafts and lots of those u joints. And a bunch of the smaller new differential yokes used with the 727.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2021-11-08 8:02 PM (#7952 - in reply to #7951)

Elite Veteran

I replaced the pinion yoke to a 1480 series so that it would match the 1480 output yoke on the Kodiak Allison. I then used conversion u-joints (1480/1410) to allow the use of off the shelf yoke shaft/yoke slip parts. I tried to find those parts in 1480 but they were just too big I settled with the 1410 as it is considerably larger/stronger than the stock FMC prop shaft.
hal
Posted 2021-11-08 11:00 PM (#7953 - in reply to #7950)

Regular

Thank you for the clarification Len, that makes sense. The 1480 is a real beafy piece of hardware. Seems most everything is hard to find now, most of these not being exceptions. And using the 16 spline pieces let you clock the joints like they should be installed.
Bill, do you think you might have the pinion yoke using the 1410 joint?
Thanks again, Hal
B. Sitton
Posted 2021-11-09 9:31 PM (#7954 - in reply to #7953)

Extreme Veteran

Just the two sizes of “original equipment” batwing yokes.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2021-11-10 8:26 AM (#7955 - in reply to #7954)

Elite Veteran

FWIW you could move up to the larger batwing style joint for the prop shaft, I didn't go that way because I didn't want to change the output on my allison, and, at the time no one had stock on them and I didn't want to wait for them to be made...they were also a good bit more expensive. I do like that design though, it makes for much easier removal/install.
andy1canada
Posted 2021-11-10 8:51 AM (#7956 - in reply to #7950)

Elite Veteran

I've decided to run with the OEM FMC 'old-steel' drive & prop shafts for my swap. Yes the Cummins will bring some more torque to the equation but the 440' was no slouch either and after seeing many pics of some of the stuff these 'stock' coaches have towed over the years - and not once hearing of anyone breaking a shaft - I rest assured with my decision.

Also will carry a spare drive-shaft on board just in case my optimism bite's me in the ass!
hal
Posted 2021-11-10 12:47 PM (#7957 - in reply to #7950)

Regular

I do have the Allison yoke with the flange that was used with a drum parking brake-1480 size u joint. I'm 'planning' to make a disc rotor in place of the drum and using a Tesla electric caliper. Using the 16 spline slip yokes seams to be a good way to get the 90 degree clocking the drive shaft really should have. Finding the other parts and pieces is becoming more of a chore than you'd imagine. Limited sources and high prices seems to be the norm today. The Allison rear yoke is now in the $500 range alone! There are some cheaper off shore pieces available but I'm a bit wary of them.
I'm guessing that larger batwing joint uses a different pinion yoke? I will need to look into some of the other options. Thanks for the ideas.
Hal
LCAC_Man
Posted 2021-11-11 11:01 AM (#7958 - in reply to #7957)

Elite Veteran

Hal,
I'm assuming the tesla caliper requires power to release the braking force (like an air brake system does)...is that correct? you wouldn't want one that pulls battery power to hold parking brake force when it's shut down.
Len
hal
Posted 2021-11-11 11:55 AM (#7959 - in reply to #7950)

Regular

Len, the Tesla caliper uses a worm gear type clamp which turns off power when a predetermined currant(clamping force in this application) is reached. Their internal control is beyond my capabilities to reproduce but there is a controller that will work stand alone. It uses an adjustable currant (0-25 amps) reversing relay that can be used with a maintained or momentary switch. One push will energize, another push reverses the motor. It also has contacts to show status for an on off telltale light. It would allow the brake to be used as a barking brake but not as an emergency brake as Tesla incorporates in their system. Once the caliper is set there is no drain in the electric system. The calipers are readily available and reasonable and the controller is about $100. The Pantera guys have been using a similiar system for a while.
All fun, Hal
LCAC_Man
Posted 2021-11-11 5:28 PM (#7960 - in reply to #7950)

Elite Veteran

sounds like a great application for it...way to blaze the trail!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)