Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Trader's Market -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rear Bumper Mounts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trader's MarketMessage format

underthehood
Posted 2018-08-23 2:43 PM (#5792)
Subject: Rear Bumper Mounts

Contributor

I recently removed almost 200 lbs. from the rear bumper of #862 and am looking for the hoop-style bumper mounts as seen in this picture:

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=165&p...

It might be more economical to just have them fabricated locally, but thought I'd check to see if anyone had an extra set and what they'd sell / ship for.

Thank you,

Mike Hood, #862
Walla Walla, WA
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2018-08-23 3:09 PM (#5793 - in reply to #5792)
Subject: Re: Rear Bumper Mounts

Expert

In the picture are the mounts for the front bumper as you know. The very early coaches had shock mounted bumpers both front and rear. However, at some point there was a demand for the ability to tow something (car or trailer or ?) and so a retrofit hitch Service Bulletin was issued instructing how to do it as the bumper could not handle a hitch of any type. Either due to that or just "because" the bumper mounts were changed to what you have now.

I suspect, but don't know, that the heavy rear bumper mounting system was designed to be able to support a hitch to pull a trailer or car. Mine had one welded to the bumper support. That support is strong enough to pull a trailer and is attached securely to the ends of the frame members. I have pulled both a car and trailer at different times so I will retain the heavy, but strong rear bumper system. It also provides additional protection to the engine compartment should I get rear ended at some point.
underthehood
Posted 2018-08-23 3:24 PM (#5794 - in reply to #5792)

Contributor

Hi Stephen,
It may not be an "original" configuration but that picture is actually of the rear bumper on #724 which also has a stinger type hitch added for towing. It's different from the front in that what's pictured is a single piece of steel bent to form a complete loop attaching to both sides of the frame rail. The front (at least on mine) have a similar look but are two separate pieces that attach between ears welded to the frame. I'll try to get better pictures posted.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the shock mounted bumpers.
hemi354az
Posted 2018-08-23 3:38 PM (#5795 - in reply to #5794)

Extreme Veteran

When all else fails . . . read the Instructions/Diagram - http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/files/Parts_manual/1_Frame_Assembly.pd...
Bump ON ! Lou #120
B. Sitton
Posted 2018-08-23 3:54 PM (#5796 - in reply to #5795)

Extreme Veteran

If anyone needs replacement shock (spring) type bumper mount cartridges, I have a couple boxes of new ones.
Bill
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)