Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

440' 'Big-rod' vs the other?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2018-08-29 9:03 AM (#5818)
Subject: 440' 'Big-rod' vs the other?

Elite Veteran

Been trying to figure if #846 has the forged crank vs the cast one. I know there's been talk about it before on early vs late coaches and what has what. The all steel engine would be more desirable.

I tried briefly crawling into that damn engine house to see if I could read the tab on the front of the engine with no luck. Couldn't even find the tab

So I looked in the Parts manual under 'Engine' (Group 15) and there it was (pp. 15-2) at the bottom of the page, where they're referencing crankshaft vibration dampeners.

Last production FMC with a forged-crank: #956

AKA: the 'six-pack' 440'.

Thereafter they had cast cranks and presumably the smaller standard con-rods.

In our application this is small potatoes as these engines were set up to produce only moderate levels of power and torque. But for someone looking to buy a good running take-out or a core for a rebuild for a project, the 440-I would be the engine of choice.

I still have to confirm that the engine in #846 is in fact the big-rod engine as it may have been swapped out by a PO. But I feel better that the chances are that it is, as the better engine was likely rebuilt regardless.

While we're at it here, I recall being told that Jim Black was the brother of (or related to?) the late Keith Black the famous engine builder and that whenever Jim needed a 440' rebuilt for a client, he'd get Keith to do it. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks!

Terry #846
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2018-08-29 10:47 AM (#5819 - in reply to #5818)
Subject: Re: 440' 'Big-rod' vs the other?

Expert

Jim Black wasn’t related to Kieth Black as told to me by Jim Black. Neither did he send send engines to him for rebuilding. He either had them rebuilt locally or by an engine rebuilder in Fresno. Prototype coach 0001, which Jim owned, did have a Kieth Black engine in it but it was put in buy a previous owner.
dkarnath
Posted 2018-08-29 11:56 AM (#5820 - in reply to #5819)
Subject: Re: 440' 'Big-rod' vs the other?

Elite Veteran

The engine I.D. Numbers are located on the top left hand side of engine between the distributer and the left head on a machined flat spot. They are stamped into the block, no tag. Post what the numbers are Terry.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)