Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Side door lock (Bergman L300)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

robgale
Posted 2019-04-13 12:21 AM (#6357)
Subject: Side door lock (Bergman L300)

Contributor

Does anyone know how to disassemble the Side door lock (Bergman L300)? I need to fix a broken part on the lock. I found the replacement parts, but I can't get the lock cylinder off. There is a small pin on the side of the lock cylinder which is preveting it from coming apart and I can't get that off. Maybe it's just stuck and I need to yank it out? Or is there some other pin/clasp/something to get that apart?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-04-13 9:57 PM (#6358 - in reply to #6357)
Subject: Re: Side door lock (Bergman L300)

Elite Veteran

There's half a dozen videos on youtube to walk you through this.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-04-13 10:12 PM (#6359 - in reply to #6357)

Elite Veteran

There's half a dozen videos on youtube to walk you through this.
robgale
Posted 2019-04-14 12:51 AM (#6360 - in reply to #6359)

Contributor

I could not find a single one anywhere for the L300. Can you point me to one?
hemi354az
Posted 2019-04-14 12:09 PM (#6361 - in reply to #6360)

Extreme Veteran

Hello Rob,
Several things may have led you down a blind alley.
There are no bErgman RV locks. There are bArgman RV locks. BARGMAN. What ever you type in Google is like the combination to a Safe. Use the wrong number in the sequence and you are locked out.
However, when I entered Bergman L300 in Google . . . it shows 34,700 hits, and indicates that those were results for Bargman L300 -

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bergman+L300+lock&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS78...

Often Google reminds that maybe this is not the right spelling or number or something . . . and asks if it must be the same spelling or must include the certain number or name used in the initial "Search Box".

Sometime looking at the Google IMAGES leads closer to what you are looking for . . . but often not in a straight path. Click on "Images" in the above link, or see -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS782US782&q=bargman+rv+...

and about 8 rows down there is a picture of what looks like a "repair kit" of some kind. Opening that Image -

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS782US782&q=bargman+rv+...

gets me to a seller of an "unavailable" Repair KIT kit with a picture . . . and a KIT PART NUMBER - https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bargman-l-300-lock-rep...

Googling that PART NUMBER (#14-30-901) and the word "kit" gets me -

https://www.google.com/search?q=14-30-901+kit&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS782US7...

and there I see the BARGMAN Catalog

- http://www.rvshop.com/print_catalogs/bargman_catalog.pdf -

. . . and see Catalog Page 32 (PDF page 34) which is an exploded drawing of the L300 Lock Assy !

See item #17-1 Set Screw ? That seems to be what holds the Spring #18-1, and the Ball #19-1 into #15-1 Lock Barrel.

Could the one you have be covered with 45 year old grease grit grime flotsam and jetsam "hiding in plain sight" the screw slot ?

"Long way to go and a short time to get there" . . . but "it" was there on the World Wide InterNET.

But, but, but, . . .

I got a NEW Bargman L-300 Lock Assy. on E-bay really cheap some time ago. It is BIGGER than the Locks that are on my FMC #120 !
It looks like it will fit in the molded "recess" in both doors, and align with the latch plunger that moves in and out of the door frame, and seems to be the right "thickness" so I assume I have a "spare".
It may require a slightly larger hole in the fiberglass, but I have not removed the "FMC" one to see for sure.

I did not go any further about "repair kits" as the "exploded" drawing of the L-300 Parts showed what maybe the reason your lock will not come apart.
Hope that the L-300 Parts are interchangeable with what ever Bargman Door Lock was used on the FMCs 45 years ago.
Please let us know if this "little screw" is what was holding your Lock together.
UnLock ON ! Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2019-04-14 12:13 PM
robgale
Posted 2019-04-14 1:16 PM (#6362 - in reply to #6361)

Contributor

Thank you for the lengthy and well researched response.

Unfortunately I had already found ALL that information before I posted my question here. I had the right spelling in my searches, even though I made a typo here on this post. LOL

I had already taken the lock partially apart, but I just can't figure out how to remove the barrel and cylinder.

I had already removed the screw/spring/ball but it does not hold anything. It is just there for tension on the barrel.

What I can't figure out is how to remove the barrel pin to remove the cylinder and barrel. Not sure it's just stuck and I need to yank harder to just pull it out of the cylinder, or if there is some pin/clip holding it in. And I can not find anywhere on the internet how to do that. None of the diagrams that you linked to and that I had already found show HOW to remove that pin and/or cylinder.

Any other ideas?

hemi354az
Posted 2019-04-14 1:22 PM (#6363 - in reply to #6362)

Extreme Veteran

I have no way of knowing what you have already found.
Using the L300 Exploded View in the Bargeman Catalog . . . just what "pin #XX-x" can't be removed ?
Lou #120
5Dollar
Posted 2019-04-14 1:45 PM (#6364 - in reply to #6357)

Veteran

Best reply to a help question I have ever seen!

Henry
hemi354az
Posted 2019-04-14 2:02 PM (#6365 - in reply to #6362)

Extreme Veteran

Looking at my L300 Lock Assy . . .
Barrel #15 has a cross drilled hole for PIN #16 . . . but the "other side" of the "thru" hole in the Barrel is smaller diameter than the pin. Seems they drilled a smaller diameter hole all the way across the Barrel, then enlarged the one side of the hole to accept the Pin. Seems the Pin has a stepped end on it, so the "other smaller end" of the pin pilots into the smaller hole in the barrel, and it can't get out that side because of the step in the pin.
The pin is press fit, but only goes in ONE WAY. Only way to get it out is pull on the exposed end.

I would Soak Pin/Barrel in Kroil or some other penetrating elixir for a couple hours and use good crosshatch DUCKBILL Pliers to PULL it OUT, letting the very end of the plier jaws resting on the barrel or the edge of the barrel casting and pinching the pin half way across the plier "grip", leveraging the pin up . . . kind of like a Claw Hammer pulls a nail up. I can grip small pieces with the Duckbill Pliers better than I can with a small Vice-Grip. Often Safety Wire Pliers can span across a small pin to grip it, as the angle jaws sometimes act a a better "lever". But that is just my "mechanicing".
Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2019-04-14 2:05 PM
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-04-14 8:56 PM (#6366 - in reply to #6365)

Elite Veteran

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-8VCb3SAcw
LCAC_Man
Posted 2019-04-14 9:07 PM (#6367 - in reply to #6357)

Elite Veteran

You need to have the key in the cylinder and turn it (towards lock I believe) while using a scribe to depress the release in that pin hole, it will pull out with the key. If you don't have a key it's a lot harder... most all the bargman lock cylinder removals are exactly the same.

Edited by LCAC_Man 2019-04-14 9:07 PM
robgale
Posted 2019-04-15 3:58 PM (#6369 - in reply to #6357)

Contributor

I was able to get the barrel pin out finally. WD-40 and muscle finally got it unjammed. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)