Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bargman L-300 RV door lockset
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2021-06-22 6:40 PM (#7767)
Subject: Bargman L-300 RV door lockset

Elite Veteran

Well I finally figured out why my drivers door wouldn't open from the inside any more. This is a problem as it's a real bitch to open that tiny slider window and try and wrench your arm around the outside of the door to reach the latch.

So popped the lockset off and had a look.

Much to my chagrin I found the main sliding backset plate had fractured in such a way that you could still open the door from the outside but not from the inside.

Couple pics here: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?msg=upd...

Given the trouble (cost) involved trying to replace these things these days, I thought it worthwhile to make a suggestion to my fellow FMC'ers to keep yours in top shape and lube them regularly - prolly every 2 or 3 yrs and make certain the striker on the door jamb is always in correct alignment as well. I figure that's likely what stressed mine out till it finally broke.

Terry
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2021-06-22 8:16 PM (#7768 - in reply to #7767)
Subject: Re: Bargman L-300 RV door lockset

Expert

Good recommendation.
Jrobowen62
Posted 2021-06-24 4:54 AM (#7769 - in reply to #7767)

Contributor

I had the opposite problem (open from the inside only). With a little judicious filing I got it to work. At some point the wear will make the problem re-occur so the lube is a good idea.
andy1canada
Posted 2021-06-24 7:55 AM (#7770 - in reply to #7769)

Elite Veteran

Morning,

Decided to have a look at the side entry door lock yesterday, while my head was around it.

To my surprise I found I was missing both the large (flat head) striker plate alignment screws. Found a couple of 1/4" NF (?) hex bolts to do the job with a little thread locker to keep it where I needed it when I finally figured it out.

It's been a few years since I worked on these and after going through these lock-sets again I realized the imperative not only to keep them well greased inside but also to make sure the door operates freely; no point in putting any additional stress on them.. So I took a few minutes to sand a new radius on the top left corner of the door where it's been sticking real bad for the last year or so.

Terry

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)