Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heater hose help?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2021-09-27 10:59 PM (#7877)
Subject: Heater hose help?

Elite Veteran

Trying to reconcile the heater hoses to hook up with the Cummins.

When the 440' was pulled I labeled all the hoses but used masking tape and a shitty pen and (lo & behold) now they're not legible, nearly 3yrs later, imagine that.

Curious if anyone out there has a more useful coolant flow diagram or sketch beyond what's in the Parts/Service manual?

The plumbing for the rad and surge tank are sorted out; however, the heater hoses are another story.

The Cummins has two steel heater tubes running across the top of the engine that supplied coolant to & from the Ram trucks heater core. I know which one is hot and which is the return.

What I am having trouble figuring out is how to supply, both, the forward heater core and the rear bedroom one as well.

Moving forward, my interpretation (right or wrong) is that the 'hot' side of the heater core feed is the one with the cable shut-off valve, accessible in the cabinet in the rear bedroom.

I've noticed that the cold (return) line from the rear heater 'tees' into what must be the same return cold line coming back from the front of the coach, then from the tee they carry on a couple more feet to the lower rad connection (in the OEM configuration).

The 'hot' hose to the tee on the rear heater feeds from a 'Y' fitting from one of the two hoses on the drivers side, however the 'Y' is positioned so the flow appears to from the front to the rear. Confusing, as I imagine there can't be much heat left in the coolant after a double run of the coach's length.

Also, I have four heater hoses in total running front to back on the coach, two on each side of the engine and I don't understand why (?)

The forward heater core should only need two lines. What do the other two do? Unless they've been replaced and the previous set was not pulled out yet, I've yet to discover, but will look closer at that possibility.

I'm leaning towards simply putting a 'tee' on the end of the hot output tube on the engine then running one hot line to each of the heaters inputs then doing the same with the cold return lines back to the engine.

Could those two 5/8" coolant heater tubes on the engine service both heater cores.

Can it be that simple?

Thanks,
Terry

Top of the page Bottom of the page
hal
Posted 2021-09-27 11:10 PM (#7878 - in reply to #7877)
Subject: Re: Heater hose help?

Regular

Terry, didn't they run a heat exchanger in the domestic hot water heater? That might be the extra pair of hoses going forward? Just guessing here, I'm no expert for sure.
Hal
LCAC_Man
Posted 2021-09-28 8:52 AM (#7879 - in reply to #7877)

Elite Veteran

Hal is on it. 2 are for the water heater under the sink, the other two are for the thermo-king heater at the dash. I used aluminum heater hose "T's" right before they went into the conduit. I think one was 5/8" and the other 3/4". Worked great.
andy1canada
Posted 2021-09-28 9:54 AM (#7880 - in reply to #7877)

Elite Veteran

Youse' guys are GREAT!

Totally forgot about the tank coil.

Even I should be able to sort this out now.

Thanks much!
Terry
dkarnath
Posted 2021-09-28 10:16 AM (#7881 - in reply to #7880)

Elite Veteran

The two hoses on the passenger side near the hydravac are dash heat. The drivers side hoses are hot water heater.
andy1canada
Posted 2021-09-28 1:46 PM (#7882 - in reply to #7877)

Elite Veteran

Good to know, thanks Dan-O!

Prolly just cut the water tank hose back out of the way for now as they are shot (likely the originals) and deal with them later. Thinking of a 'tankless' water heater regardless.

So... if I just run off the hot-side 5/8" 'heater' tube on the top of the engine up to the tee on the bedroom heater then it carries on to the front of the coach and since the cold-side bedroom already is tee'ed into the cold side coming back from the front of the coach, it can simply be hooked up to the cold side return heater tube on top of the Cummins, right?

Sounds too simple... must be overlooking something here. Ha-ha!

Thanks,
Terry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)