Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drum brake and hubs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Darren
Posted 2021-10-12 11:46 AM (#7903)
Subject: Drum brake and hubs

Contributor

I am pulling apart all 4 drum/hubs on #621. I see in the back of the rear hubs a hard ring retaining the seal and the inner bearing. I plan to replace the seals, bearings and races and am curious how the whole thing comes apart. I assume it is all pressed together but would like some insight from others who have done it before. 

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
andy1canada
Posted 2021-10-12 12:29 PM (#7904 - in reply to #7903)
Subject: Re: Drum brake and hubs

Elite Veteran

Hey Darren,
Got a parts & service manual? They can be entirely useful.

If not click here: (manuals) http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/

And we can all thank Kjetil for it and damn straight - I can't remember how to spell his name if my life depended on it.

Good luck!
Terry
Darren
Posted 2021-10-12 1:03 PM (#7905 - in reply to #7904)

Contributor

Thanks Andy. I do have one and also visit the site often. I’m looking for insight beyond the manual. From those who have done it. 
andy1canada
Posted 2021-10-12 8:29 PM (#7906 - in reply to #7903)

Elite Veteran

Also try the 'Search' button at the top left hand corner. That should fish through most of the threads quick for you.

As well, I also recall years ago there was a great post on (I think) the Yahoo forum, which sadly is gone now, where a guy had taken the time to post a whole bunch of pics of his seal/wheel bearing service he did. It was very informative.

I also seem to recall that Stephen may have previously said that that particular Yahoo post may have been archived by one of the members before the entire forum contents were douched. May just be my brain wandering off into the great 'hither-to' again but if it is still accessible, maybe he may chime in here, as to how, or, where or... WTF am I tryin' to say here?

Terry
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2021-10-13 1:31 PM (#7907 - in reply to #7903)

Expert

Yes, I saved most of the post within my Outlook program. I this time they are not in a formate that is readable by other programs. Some day we may figure out how to get them into a file format that all can view.
dkarnath
Posted 2021-10-14 12:01 PM (#7908 - in reply to #7903)

Elite Veteran

Hi Darren,

You may want to look through my albums, I documented this job among others. Might be of some help??

http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-main.asp?viewmember=36...
Darren
Posted 2021-10-14 12:48 PM (#7909 - in reply to #7908)

Contributor

Hey Dan, thanks for the link. I searched through all of your pics and didn’t find what I was looking for. I’m looking for guidance on the removal of the rear inner bearings once the drum has been removed. 

Do the studs need to be pressed out, dust shield removed, before you can reach the inner seal and bearing?  Just looking for procedural guidance. I also plan to replace the races with new ones if they are no good. 

The fronts are self-explanatory. 
dkarnath
Posted 2021-10-14 5:36 PM (#7910 - in reply to #7909)

Elite Veteran

I just looked at my albums Darren, yeah no info their for you on this subject. lol. I don't remember anything special about the rear wheel bearing grease seal other than it's really expensive to buy. I believe you just beat the seal out like the fronts? Or you might be able to put the axle nut back on the spindle after removing the outer bearing, then tug on/out the drum assembly and the nut will push the inner bearing/seal out. BUT this only works on certain hub assemblies, I cant remember if you can do that on the FMC, the nut might be to big to go through the bearing race. I haven't had any rear wheel bearings out in a long time, I've re-used the seal before if they are in good shape.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)