Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

LED TAIL LIGHT SWAP.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

andy1canada
Posted 2022-05-22 10:50 AM (#8050)
Subject: LED TAIL LIGHT SWAP.

Elite Veteran

This is a continuation of the work started by my Friend, Dale Maggio, about 10 yrs ago just before I bought #509 from him down in Santa Cruz.

In a box of parts he included with the coach I found some pedestal-style LED truck lights. He told me he was in the midst of converting the tail lights to LED but had no time to complete it. After checking out the parts - and having been less than happy with replacing a continuous stream of rear tail light bulbs - I decided to take a serious look at what Dale had in mind. Turns out the guy is freakin' - brilliant!

As I'd already converted my 10 clearance lights to LED's years ago it also made sense to carry on with other lights, too.

The model he'd purchased is no longer available (Grand General #77624) but a similar (smarter) unit is; however, they are pricey and you'll need 4-light kits in total = over $300/USD. I was surprised what they cost actually.

https://grandgeneral.com/auto-parts/led/square-double-face-smart-dyn...

WHAT REALLY BLEW MY MIND (what's left of it) WAS THAT THESE PUPPIES LITERALLY SCREW RIGHT ONTO THE EXISTING FMC PLASTIC TAIL LIGHT BRACKET WITHOUT MODIFICATION!

Finally got the install done yesterday (#846 is road-legal now) and last night I went out in the dark to check'em out and couldn't be happier.

The OEM FMC tail light install always bothered me at least, how it was done on my coach. There two pcs of thin plywood glued either side of the openings then the light was gooped in place with a shit-ton of putty and caulking. Again, maybe it wasn't OEM but rather a PO.

If anyone is further interested how I did this work (it's 'a way' to do it, perhaps someone may improve on it) you can see some pics and stuff in the Album section here: http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid...

Cheers,
Terry

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)