Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Blower motor ( brushes ) ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

coolkat
Posted 2017-08-01 5:58 PM (#4795)
Subject: Blower motor ( brushes ) ?

Contributor

motor cuts out after about 2 min operation I think the brushes are shot
52k miles
custom club 577
ac non functional
working on putting a rear combo unit from a ford in back and under sink areas
charge with R152 and a condenser in back on RT side grate or behind radiator
cannot locate the #*&% thing (blower motor)
does one have to pull the entire evap and heater assembly out to gain access to the blower motor?
any sources on blower motors or brushes for same?
checked MCR they have 0 parts for it
Top of the page Bottom of the page
5Dollar
Posted 2017-08-01 6:25 PM (#4798 - in reply to #4795)
Subject: Re: Blower motor ( brushes ) ?

Veteran

Try antique and auto vintage air suppliers. They will probably have a replacement blower. When I had my auto system rebuilt, the rebuilder bought the needed blower from a large AC parts supplier. Was almost $300. Send them some pictures with all the info you have.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-08-01 9:15 PM (#4799 - in reply to #4798)

Elite Veteran

If you're talking about the blower for the dash air conditioner then you've got a big job to replace that, there were two blowers on my Thermo-king unit(both were good), I pulled my entire unit out (which requires dash removal) to strip out the evaporator. Here's a pic of the thermo-king http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=127&p...
the blowers are behind the 4 ducts on top...no way to get to them in place.
I'd look closely at the connector on the back of the dash blower switch...mine was badly melted and when it ran for a bit and got hot it would quit..
Got to say (on the rest of your air cond plans) there's no way I'd spend money on the installed engine driven system...money is much better spent on roof air conditioners and just run the gen set..

Edited by LCAC_Man 2017-08-01 9:19 PM
5Dollar
Posted 2017-08-02 12:16 AM (#4800 - in reply to #4795)

Veteran

After having done it, about $5,000, I would never do it again. You can buy two roof top heat pumps for half the money.

Henry
Duramaxer
Posted 2017-08-02 4:11 AM (#4801 - in reply to #4795)

Veteran

Here in one of the albums on #477 is a picture of the blowers install. http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=42&am... It's not NASA, it's just two simle 12v blowers on a box cover. The top of the unit could be modyfied to take almost any radial or axial 12v fan/blower. Should not cost 5K or make anyone ditch their auto-air. Stay cool! Kjetil #477

Edited by Duramaxer 2017-08-02 4:13 AM
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-08-02 7:16 AM (#4802 - in reply to #4795)

Elite Veteran

Regardless of your air conditioning fix you'll need the blowers for heat and defrost so (whether you like it or not) you're committed. Those are some robust blowers, I'd bet the problem is wiring..
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-08-02 10:59 AM (#4803 - in reply to #4795)

Expert

Are they making a grinding/worn bearing noise while running? Do they instantly stop when turned off with the switch? If not, then I agree with Len that it is probably a wiring issue and not a motor issue. It is unlikely that two motors would have the same problem at the same time. Let us know the eventual outcome on this thread for the benefit of others at some later time.
coolkat
Posted 2017-08-02 12:27 PM (#4806 - in reply to #4803)

Contributor

I think you guys are on the right track was thinking one motor might be dead and the other on its way out
wanted to reach the power so I could check it there is a metal box on the back (towards dash) that I think is a resister box for speeds size aprox 12 x 3 x 2
will check at the switch first.
the orig engine driven system is missing most parts incl the roof condenser
and as a club this was ordered without the front ac only rear and dash (it has no grating / vent forward of the side door. )
was gonna put used ($ 100 bucks at pick and pull) ford expedition package units in place of the thermo king units (missing) and add an extra core so they could run from 120v onboard pump
or using the alternate evap core , run from engine driven pump. may not be worth doing
no bearing noise and they spin down slowly when switched off
do the blowers operate redundantly in normal service?
byegorge
Posted 2017-08-02 4:09 PM (#4807 - in reply to #4795)

Veteran

They both operate at the same time. Another problem with the front AC/heater it has no provision for 'fresh' air only recirculate.
dkarnath
Posted 2017-08-02 4:20 PM (#4808 - in reply to #4807)

Elite Veteran

I kick out the door vent ram air scoops when traveling in the heat.....fresh air baby. They are the exact same vent assemblies that Mack trucks put in there cab roofs for fresh air.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-08-02 4:50 PM (#4809 - in reply to #4795)

Elite Veteran

Installing one of these above both passenger areas was some of the best money I spent
http://www.fmcowners.com/mbbs22/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=127&p...
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-08-02 8:11 PM (#4814 - in reply to #4808)

Expert

dkarnath - 2017-08-02 2:20 PM I kick out the door vent ram air scoops when traveling in the heat.....fresh air baby. They are the exact same vent assemblies that Mack trucks put in there cab roofs for fresh air.

Some coaches have two of these, some only have one (my coach) and some have none as they were an add on by later owners or service providers. They are readily available and can be easily added if you are not afraid of making a hole in the side or door of the coach.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)