Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jacking and Supporting
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

Dynaguytn
Posted 2017-08-26 8:31 AM (#4906)
Subject: Jacking and Supporting

Contributor

Advice request -
I'm looking at the Ops Manual jack points and trying to translate that into practical choices.

I heard the advice about not using the torsion bar, but what about the terminus point where each end of the torsion bar is anchored to the frame? It seems reasonable since those points are where the load is transferred to the drive wheels going down the road.

I saw Len's effort at correcting sag in the body work, and I'm leery of doing anything that will rack or twist the frame.

Thanks for any advice or pictures of ideal jack and support points!

Best,
- Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-08-27 11:12 AM (#4912 - in reply to #4906)
Subject: Re: Jacking and Supporting

Elite Veteran

Yes, the torque box where the torsion bars are anchored is a good jacking point, that is a very robust piece of structure. You should also support it at the rear ends of the frame rails as well since the frame will then also be carrying all the normally unsprung weigh of rear hubs/tires.
Dynaguytn
Posted 2017-08-29 7:56 AM (#4914 - in reply to #4906)

Contributor

Good advice, thanks Len-
fcrives3
Posted 2017-10-10 5:20 AM (#5040 - in reply to #4906)

Regular

Hey Len very nice work on your coach GREEN with envy, in your pics the stands that you used to support the rear of your coach did you custom make those or did you purchase them somewhere? #721 was formally owned by Joe Knight and has rear air ride which is one of the winter projects because the system leaks down, air tank is to small, and since it has an 8.2 Detroit I would like to get a engine driven compressor to keep up with air demand.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-10-10 7:33 AM (#5041 - in reply to #5040)

Elite Veteran

I bought them then made a small attachment to bolt to the bumper mount attachment points.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Tiger-Brand-Super-S-Series-36-in-Jack-Po...
I use the Duramax's factory Sanden a/c compressor to run my air system, it takes less than 30 seconds to get the system to 150psi.
You don't need much of a tank, I think mine is maybe 3gal.
fcrives3
Posted 2017-10-10 9:09 AM (#5042 - in reply to #4906)

Regular

Well since I have a Detroit N/A I am stuck trying to find a air compressor for it has a vacuum pump already mounted on it for the cruise control and I am assuming for the brake boosters also.
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2017-10-10 10:22 AM (#5043 - in reply to #4906)

Expert

While do not presently have air ride, if I did I would focus on eliminate all air leaks before I would change air supply system. Without any air leaks you may very well be satisfied with the present system.
fcrives3
Posted 2017-10-10 11:18 AM (#5046 - in reply to #4906)

Regular

Yea going to work on that just not sure if the pump is up for the task, and I need a new tank the one that was on the coach looks like Swiss cheese Joe Knight did some good up grades to #471 but it has sat for so long I am going to have to redo the most of the inside including the floor rotten and no insulation.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2017-10-11 2:41 PM (#5065 - in reply to #4906)

Elite Veteran

Viair and Airlift both make good medium duty 12volt compressors. Air suspension is a huge market, lots of hardware options to choose from.
I'd probably run an electric vacuum pump as well and get every bit of load off that 8.2 as I could so that I could run a much larger cooling fan without taking so much of a hit on power..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)