Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old FMCs and new "gasoline/ethanol blend"
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

hemi354az
Posted 2017-08-30 11:26 PM (#4927)
Subject: Old FMCs and new "gasoline/ethanol blend"

Extreme Veteran

My Chief FMC Collaborator Colorado Bill Sitton and I have been thinking about 2017 Gasoline and 1973-76 Chrysler 440 powered FMCs.
There seems to have been a series of carburetor, fuel pump, vapor lock, leaky fuel hoses, intermittent power, etc. issues over the last several years with our favorite Antique Motor Home.
A full tank of fuel is over 50 gallons. Alas, most FMCs sit and sit and sit an only occasionally make a trip to Grand Ma’s. And whatever gas it has after the trip . . . sits in the tank.
What is in gasoline today ? https://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.php?id=26092
When the tank sits still for too long the ethanol separates out, attracts water (Hygroscopic), and concentrates at the bottom as both are heavier than gasoline.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Does+Ethanol+settle+out+%3F&oq=Does+... (please ignore "ads and commercials")
How much Ethanol is in that last tank of gas ? At least 10%, often more. Ethanol dissolves filters, hoses, seals, pumps, lots of stuff.
If you go start the vehicle but don't really get the ethanol/water mixed up again with the gasoline on top . . . you have a hard time starting/running the concentrated ethanol, and when you shut it off, the filter, pump, and carb is full of crap. Modern car/truck gas engines have hoses, seals, gaskets, etc. that are compatible with ethanol blended in the fuel. Our FMCs DO NOT.
Most cars/trucks get driven a lot more than our old Motorhome, so the “stuff” stays mixed up, and gets used up, and refilled weekly, monthly, or maybe even more frequently.

What to do ? If your driving you FMC enough to fill it often (Monthly), keep at it ! (Love that old Miller commercial – If you’ve got the time, we’ve got the beer)
But if it has been sitting there with some gas in the tank (quarter, half, more in the tank), . . . drain it and use it in your other vehicles !
There is a pipe plug in one corner of every FMC tank that can be used to drain it into a SUITABLE CONTAINER for GASOLINE.
Maybe even start the engine and use all the fuel left in the filter, pump, and carb.
Then when you get ready to go on that Vacation to ???, go get 5 gallons of “fresh gasoline/ethanol blend”, put it in and get it running, air all tires up, then stop at the gas station on the way out of town, and “Fill ‘er up !”

Maybe there are other ways to tackle this ethanol blended fuel issue in a FMC. Got any ideas ?
Gas ON ! Lou #120 . . . AND Bill Sitton and his 6 or 7 FMCs.

ps: I do NOT want to start any discussion about ethanol/politics. Please limit replies (if any) to keeping our favorite FMC Motorhome RUNNING.

Edited by hemi354az 2017-08-30 11:31 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fmc708
Posted 2017-08-31 12:17 AM (#4928 - in reply to #4927)
Subject: Re: Old FMCs and new "gasoline/ethanol blend"

Veteran

I take it using a few bottles of STA-BIL 360°® Performance is not really going to cut it? If not, is it at least better than nothing, or a waste of money? #708 has been out of commission for several months while I have been getting the brake drums made. So, this is an issue close to my heart this month. Other advice says to keep the tank close to full when sitting for more than a month.
B. Sitton
Posted 2017-08-31 8:12 AM (#4930 - in reply to #4928)
Subject: Re: Old FMCs and new "gasoline/ethanol blend"

Extreme Veteran

I was checking my pontoon boat manual and they recommend either full or empty tank during storage to reduce condensation build up. Nobody is thinking about the alcohol settling out.
I have pulled the in tank pump and remnant of the filter from too many vehicles that have sat without being started for over six months. New pump, dead after not being run 6-8 months. The filter will turn to dust when dry. Filter stays on bottom of tank when pump pulled because the plastic has deteriorated. This was in some ford bronco ll tanks. Got me thinking and here we are.
No debate, gas is crap. Some ethanol free pumps are out there and we should probably find our favorite one.
Bill
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)