Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shifting problems
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

whoudeeny
Posted 2018-03-06 11:24 AM (#5353)
Subject: Shifting problems

Contributor

Hey there my people, I have a slight problem with my FMC, I tried putting a new power steering belt on and was unable to do so because of the belt size and availability but when I put the fan and pulley back on the engine and started it up without the belt it will no longer shift into gears. I'm stuck on the side of the road with nobody that knows a thing about these Beauty's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2018-03-06 11:53 AM (#5354 - in reply to #5353)
Subject: Re: Shifting problems

Expert

To solve the problem, it is necessary to first identify the problem. Not going into gear is the end result of whatever the actual problem is. There are four potential points of a problem. The first is the connection of the gear shift lever to the shift cable. The second is the cable itself: did it separate/break somewhere along its length. The third is the connection of the cable to the transmission: did it slip off/break. The fourth is the transmission itself: did it fail internally. Number four is what happened to mine many years ago. Drove it to a location, but when it was time to move it the coach would not move.

Probably the first thing to do is identify where the problem is. After that is done, a solution can be identified. If you are stuck in a bad location, it is time to get the coach towed to a safe location that is amendable to working on the coach. Are you in Pittsburg, CA or somewhere else?

whoudeeny
Posted 2018-03-06 12:31 PM (#5356 - in reply to #5354)

Contributor

Thank you so much for the response, my information solely rely on these forums as many people never heard of fmc. I am in Pittsburg yes, stuck at a Jack in the box. Its an okay spot to work at. Just trying to take the steps you have mentioned
fmc708
Posted 2018-03-06 12:51 PM (#5357 - in reply to #5353)

Veteran

When you say it will no longer shift into gears, Is the shifter moving, but nothing is happening to change gears in the transmission, or can you not even move the shifter into gear? If the shifter is moving, it should be relatively easy to see if the cable is moving at the other end where it attaches to the transmission. If the shifter is not moving at all, other than an obstruction to look for, that would be above my pay grade, but it would seem to be the transmission.

I had a similar problem years back where I could shift, but the coach would not move forward (in a campground, luckily). I ended up having to be towed and it was the transmission. There was a simultaneous issue where my parking "brake" had seemingly flung itself apart within its casing. I am still not sure to what extent that contributed to the coach not proceeding.
LCAC_Man
Posted 2018-03-07 1:59 PM (#5364 - in reply to #5353)

Elite Veteran

check your fluid level
also I guess we should make sure you have the standard 440 engine and 727 transmission.. and nothing fancy like a hydraulic shifter system...after 40+ years you can't assume anything..

Edited by LCAC_Man 2018-03-07 2:02 PM
dkarnath
Posted 2018-03-07 3:09 PM (#5366 - in reply to #5353)

Elite Veteran

I wasn't even going to go there Len....All we know is this person lost shifting capabilities after changing the power steering belt four times, but still has no power steering belt installed AND now no transmission shifting? Where is Lou?
hemi354az
Posted 2018-03-07 3:55 PM (#5367 - in reply to #5366)

Extreme Veteran

Tried to contact him . . . but no reply of any kind. Would hate to be driving around with out Power Steering . . . but guess his FMC is "stationary". Difficult to make a "mechanic" out of some on over the Nets. Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2018-03-07 3:57 PM
whoudeeny
Posted 2018-03-12 2:29 AM (#5397 - in reply to #5353)

Contributor

I had my fmc towed to a good location for working on, when I start the engine it fires right up and when I shift it shifts smooth and will go into drive and be fine but runs a little rough, but when it comes around to backing up it doesn't shift into reverse..I looked under the coach at the linkage and where there's supposed to be cotter pins is replaced with a wire due to shortage of supplys I guess. I don't know how tight any of the belts are supposed to be I kind of just put everything back together and tightened according to guesses..I'm surprised I made it this far. I would hate to ruin such a classic coach..
B. Sitton
Posted 2018-03-12 8:14 AM (#5398 - in reply to #5397)

Extreme Veteran

First thing is to block the wheels so it stays put with the transmission in neutral. It does hold in park right?
Start it up and place shifter in neutral. Does the coach want to move forward in neutral? Hope not, that is a sign of burned rear clutches.
Check the transmission fluid with the engine running and transmission in neutral. A cold transmission should show 1 pint low. The fluid expands that much when it warms up.
If fluid level is good the trans is more than likely going to have to come out. Also is fluid red or dark and smelly. Red is good, dark and smells bad, time to rebuild.
Check fluid level and condition and report back.
Bill
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)