Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power Steering
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

fcrives3
Posted 2018-03-20 5:33 AM (#5418)
Subject: Power Steering

Regular

Good morning all,
I replaced the power steering gear box 4 or 5 years ago on #934 and I can't turn the steering wheel unless I am revving up the engine which leads me to think I have air in it is there any way to bleed the gearbox any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help.

Chip Rives,
#471 #721 #934
Top of the page Bottom of the page
hemi354az
Posted 2018-03-20 5:57 AM (#5419 - in reply to #5418)
Subject: Re: Power Steering

Extreme Veteran

http://www.fmcmotorcoach.com/files/Manual2/Group_7.pdf
7-6, b. Page 7-13
When all else fails . . . read the Instructions.
Lou #120
fcrives3
Posted 2018-03-20 4:24 PM (#5421 - in reply to #5418)

Regular

Thanks Lou I read the manual Jacked it up turned the wheel stop to stop checked the fluid filled turned the wheel rechecked the fluid checked the belt tension and guess what still can't turn the wheel does fine while driving just not sitting still that was 4 or 5 years ago but as soon as I get a chance I will do it again.
Thanks again
dkarnath
Posted 2018-03-20 5:33 PM (#5422 - in reply to #5421)

Elite Veteran

fcrives3 - 2018-03-20 2:24 PM

Thanks Lou I read the manual Jacked it up turned the wheel stop to stop checked the fluid filled turned the wheel rechecked the fluid checked the belt tension and guess what still can't turn the wheel does fine while driving just not sitting still that was 4 or 5 years ago but as soon as I get a chance I will do it again.
Thanks again

When I changed pumps on #850 (the pump was off of #184 and it worked great), it wouldn't really turn the wheels setting still under it's own weight either (it would sometimes just barely), I jacked the front end up, capped the pump return line port, took the power steering return line and held it down inside the pump, with the engine running and a friend up front turning the steering lock to lock, I ran it for a couple minutes, it had a nice steady flow of fluid coming out the return line. It kinda made the steering better, but never 100%. None of my tie rod ends have grease zurks, nor do the ball joints, everything looked really dry, so I pumped grease with a needle inside all the rubber dust boots on all of the front end components, probably did zero good, but I know the steering has gotten better the more I drive it, AND make sure your p-pump belt is TIGHT.
fcrives3
Posted 2018-03-21 5:31 AM (#5423 - in reply to #5418)

Regular

Thank you Dan for the reply I have new tie rod ends just need to install them at some point, I have already done the idler arm bushings as 1 was completely missing other than that ball joints and getting new shocks the front end should be just about done.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)