Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Mechanic's Corner -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheel and Tire Fitment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Mechanic's CornerMessage format

gallers
Posted 2014-09-29 3:28 PM (#2282)
Subject: Wheel and Tire Fitment

Contributor

I am currently looking to replace the original 17in. Split rim design wheel with something more up to date and preferably aluminum. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to be able to find tires and wheels that are a bit more "common" for today.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
5Dollar
Posted 2014-09-29 3:50 PM (#2283 - in reply to #2282)
Subject: Re: Wheel and Tire Fitment

Veteran

One way to solve this problem is to remove the brake drums and have the center section reduced 1/8". You can then use the 19.5 Dodge tubeless Budd rims which are lug centric. There may be a need for a spacer in the rear. The good news is that I have a set of 7 of these rims with 225/80/19.5 tires mounted on them - $1500. The bad news is that they are in South Carolina.

Henry
gallers
Posted 2014-10-14 2:24 PM (#2314 - in reply to #2282)

Contributor

What do you mean reduce the center section of the drum by 1/8"
5Dollar
Posted 2014-10-14 2:55 PM (#2315 - in reply to #2282)

Veteran

The center of the brake drum has a protrusion that supports the hub centric stock wheel. The opening in the Dodge wheel is 1/8" less in diameter than the original FMC wheel. If this hub centering ridge is reduced, the Dodge wheel, a Budd wheel as well, can be fitted and the wheel can then become a lug centering wheel. There may be the need for spacers on the rear wheels to get the right clearance, but these are not hard to make or have made.

Henry
hemi354az
Posted 2014-10-14 3:27 PM (#2316 - in reply to #2282)

Extreme Veteran

WOW, Henry, still convinced that the FMC has Dodge Running Gear huh ?
If such a thing is really possible, it is a lot easier to enlarge the center of a wheel rim than it is to take an eighth of an inch off the front and rear wheel hub/drum.
But if you cut down the hub, you can't use your old 17 inch wheels to store it or move it around because they are HUB centered.
5 lug steel Dodge wheels are lug centered on a 8 inch bolt circle ?
Please provide PICTURES OF UNMODIFIED DODGE 5 LUG (6 to 7 inch wide) 19.5" DIA STEEL WHEELS BOLTED TO A FMC HUB.
Show us !!! Without PICTURES . . . it didn't happen !
ROLL ON ! Lou #120

Edited by hemi354az 2014-10-14 3:36 PM
5Dollar
Posted 2014-10-14 3:44 PM (#2317 - in reply to #2282)

Veteran

They are lug centered with an 8" bolt circle. I just found a Dodge Budd wheel with not tire on it when I was looking for a spare tire for my trailer that I was planning to use to go get some packing material for your side piece. Has two flat tires. You are right about not using the 17" wheels. The other way is to cut out the center of the wheel 1/8". I have one side of the rear wheels off of my #254 coach. Since I do not have any 17" wheels, using them is not a consideration.

Now I am sitting out a tornado warning, but tomorrow, I PROMISE, I will take a picture of a Dodge wheel mounted on the inside rear of my #254. I will also take a picture of the spacer. My shop neighbor is going to loan me his trailer tomorrow to pick up the lumber.

Henry
5Dollar
Posted 2014-10-16 3:33 AM (#2342 - in reply to #2282)

Veteran

I sent the pictures to Lou of the Dodge Budd wheel mounted on the rear of an FMC. The key, in this case, is that a spacer about an inch thick is mounted over longer lugs with a center hole large enough to fit totally over the hub centric supporting portion of the hub. This gives a flat surface to which mount the now lug centric Dodge wheels. The tires I took off were mounted on Dodge Budd rims.

The rims and tires are still available.

Henry
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)