Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum ->  General Discussion -> Forum Help -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Waste Tank R&R Advice?
Moderators: jevans

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Forum HelpMessage format

FrothyShank
Posted 2022-06-17 10:13 AM (#8064)
Subject: Waste Tank R&R Advice?

Has anyone removed/repaired/replaced the black and grey water tanks? We have major leakage (think colander) due to my overlooking one of the two drainage valves before Winter freeze. The manual just describes the locations, removal of the "straps" and that's about it. I honestly can't even locate the straps as it seems there is a metal box/pan underneath riveted to the body and subframe??? Water leaking from all corners of where that box is fastened along the seams. Can't get her up off the soft dirt at the moment to really get a better look... hoping someone has some experience with this. And if so, what type of plastic tanks should I expect in anticipation of a repair? Some kind of polypropylene? ABS?

Thanks so much in advance. I wish I could attach pics to illustrate. But the coach is in a destination-location so I'm trying to anticipate what tools and supplies to bring for the remote repair. Apologies if this is the wrong forum, just making a determination this is sorta non-Mechanics Corner.

Edited by FrothyShank 2022-06-17 10:18 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BigRabbitMan
Posted 2022-06-17 10:26 AM (#8065 - in reply to #8064)
Subject: Re: Waste Tank R&R Advice?

The straps were replaced in later coaches, such as yours, by a flat pan. This gives the tank better support than the straps did. Asked to repair the only solution there would be to remove the pan so that the tank can be dropped down. You’ll probably have to be careful of The inlet and take apart the valve to separate the tank from the outlet plumbing. I do not have an idea as to how you will actually make that repair. I believe the tank material is poly propylene and so any repair would have to be compatible with that material. The other alternative is once you’ve got the tank removed and can determine its dimensions have a new tank made.

Good luck!
FrothyShank
Posted 2022-06-17 10:40 AM (#8066 - in reply to #8064)

Thank you Mr. Heinrichs! This is beyond helpful. Ugh... i really screwed-the-pooch on this one. The burst copper was already plenty of fun, but I'm a PEX expert now Maybe I'll have a plumber out to run a camera snake after removing the toilet to see if both tanks are busted or maybe there's a lateral/trap that's spilling over the top of tank(s)? Anyway thanks again for your rapid reply!
fmc708
Posted 2022-06-17 11:20 AM (#8067 - in reply to #8064)

I had a smaller problem with my black tank a few years back. The leak was right at the neck of the outlet. Out of expediency and a pending trip, I chose to just have it "repaired" with Eternabond of some such similar tape. Damn thing is still holding strong. The tank is black plastic, I believe ABS? Mine has the straps that go around the tank, but with some kind of fiberboard panel in-between the straps and the bottom of the tank. When I had a similar problem with the fresh water tank, I could not get anybody around my location to repair it (plastic "welding". I replaced it.
FrothyShank
Posted 2022-06-17 12:08 PM (#8068 - in reply to #8064)

Thanks Mr. Miller! Interesting... just to be sure, you said your repair was at the neck of the outlet, meaning on the outbound waste side rather than the sink/toilet's outlet (tank inlet) i presume. Also, did you replace it with an off-the-shelf product or was there lots of improvisation involved?

Really appreciate your assistance! -F
fmc708
Posted 2022-06-17 12:22 PM (#8069 - in reply to #8068)

For the black tank repair, it was the neck at the outlet at the outbound side.  So, it was easy to get to.  For the fresh water tank, there was lots of improvisation, or more precisely, I measured the existing tank and all the outlets/inlets, and provided a drawing for exactly what I needed to the tank supplier.  I used Tank-Mart online.
FrothyShank
Posted 2022-06-17 12:50 PM (#8070 - in reply to #8069)

Roger that. I'll be paying a visit to Tank-Mart's site once I uncover the problem(s). Wishing I just had tank straps to deal with... This sub-frame pan is built like a tank! I may ultimately end up with a new tank hanging from straps per the earlier design... we'll see. "Tanks" to you both.

Edited by FrothyShank 2022-06-17 12:52 PM
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Go to FMCowners.com HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)