|You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )|
|#846 - Cummins Swap|
|Author: andy1canada (Show all albums)|
Going to give this another try as my first attempt didn't go so well on the 'Diner-conversion' thread (Will update/edit that soon).
Started my Cummins swap by pulling off the bumper; only took better part of an hour. That sucker is HEAVY! Better part of a 100 lbs I bet. Will be looking to knock substantial weight off that baby while still retaining a 5000 lb towing standard.
This will take a while as it will unfold as time and resources permit, so please be patient.
More pics and hopefully some videos (FMC-TV) to follow.
For the rear wheels all that is needed to get back on concrete is to loosen 8-bolts and slide the wheels off. Boom-done! The four front tires are rated @ 1200/lbs. the two rear swivel wheels are rated @ 700/lbs. Will be looking at doing the 60lb valve-springs and KDP pin next.
Gave some thought to convertibility. For the front wheels all that is needed to rig it for rolling on concrete is to flip the leg arm so the steel wheel is down.
1100 lbs. Managed to move it a considerable distance by myself. Would have been impossible with the small OEM steel wheels on the picker.
My latest incarnation of an ATV cherry-picker. Without the advantage of pavement or concrete, this is a workable solution.
Well, there they are. 20 lbs in the left and just over 40 on the right side resting on the wheels. Can't see any obvious deflection in the arms yet. Will check in later to advise on how these worked out. Note: another potential issue that I won't be able to confirm until I get the wheels on the ground again and roll it, is the amount of clearance I left between the outer prop-shaft U-joints and the spring-arm mount beam; it ended up being very close and I hope it don't become an issue or I'll have to fab-up new arms with more clearance. Once the engine swap is done I should be able to go to the weigh scales and weigh the front and back axle loads with the air-spings inflated vs deflated to determine weight transfer effectiveness. This was a tough job for me and if it works out I hope it helps someone, someday, sometime... somewhere.
Air test: only put 20 lbs in the drivers side bag as the wheels ain't back on yet.
Will be adding a trick 'dual' needle pressure gauge in the proximity of these fill valves so I can see at a glance where the pressure is at. Will wait till I do the final clean-up of the firewall as there's likely more stuff to get rid of as the 12-valve's ancillary equipment necessary to run it is little more than a battery, a keyed starter circuit, fuel shut down solenoid and the heater grid for cold starts.
To get me up and running I decided to go the easy route on the air-control. Simple schrader-valves mounted in the engine house (pass side) just ahead of the access door. Easy access.
Ready to plumb in the air-lines.
Again, the spring mount arms are quite a patchwork assembly and need not be; it's what I had on hand. I'm asking this design to provide up to 1000/lbs of additional lift to the rear of my coach. Applying this amount of lift at a point on the chassis 3-ft behind the torsion bar tubes should hopefully help mitigate the extra 400 lbs the Cummins brings to the party. If there are any strength issues (ie. flexing/bending) in service, I'll change out the arms for some 3"x3" heavy box channel. One thing I think I got right with this design is the ease of removal of the assembly for repair and/or access to the shocks and wheel hub assemblies.
Scored all the fittings & 20 ft of 1/4" airline for under $40 bucks. Ready to install and test for leaks.
|Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software|
© 2002-2022 PD9 Software
|(Delete all cookies set by this site)|