Search | Statistics | User Listing | Member Roster | Coach DB Forums | Albums
FMC Owner's Forum
Home -> FMC Owner's Forum -> Albums -> View Album

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Dieselfication of Coach 1046
Author: BigRabbitMan (Show all albums)

This album is dedicated to following the process of Coach #1046 being converted from a 1976 Chrysler 440-I with a 4spd Allison AT540 transmission to a 2006 GMC Duramax LBZ turbo diesel with a 6spd Allison 1000 double overdrive transmission. There is a companion discussion thread in the Mechanic's Corner section of the Forum area of this site.
Show Newest Photos First | Show Oldest Photos First379 Photos - Page : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32]

This is the same mount as seen from below. Note that the stepdown bracket is bolted to the original radiator bracket that was used with the Chrysler 440.

Here is the longer right hand side stepdown bracket.

The front 4" of the fan shroud was able to be fitted outside of the coach, but due to the varying dimensions and angles, the side pieces are being created in the coach. At this point the radiator will be posistioned, this part taped securely to the radiator and then the whole unit removed. With it out, the top and bottom pieces will be added and everything riveted/bolted together.

The fan shroud has now been completed.

The angles at the bottom are to clear the support brackets.

The top and sides of the shroud were relatively easy, but the bottom took sigificant sheet metal adjustments. It was due to the combination of the support brackets and the low position of the fan on the engine. The fan is low on the engine partly to allow the front of the hood of the donor pickup to be lower for less wind resistance.

Here you can see how I sealed the shroud to the radiator on the inside. I used some left over FatMat (see lining of the engine compartment in earlier photos) as it has pressure sensitive glue that sticks very well and is very flexible.

On the top I used a large piece which will also dampen any sounds that the shroud may make or amplify.

The radiator is now installed permanently. The two dark squares are dual transmission coolers. I wanted to use thin coolers due to space so to get the needed cubic inches of cooling capacity I have used two coolers. They will be plumbed in parallel with half of the flow going to each cooler.

Here is where the wires that control the fan speed come out of the shroud.

The small bolt shown here is there to prevent the radiator assembly from lifting off of the support brackets should a major bump occur. There is one on each side.

This picture shows the final position of the coolant pressure tank (you can see the bottom of it) and its connection to the bottom of the radiator. Also the the exhaust pipe is completed and the transmission coolers have been plumbed. The hoses were routed to minimize the clearance needed between them and the cowling.
Show Newest Photos First | Show Oldest Photos First379 Photos - Page : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32]

Return to viewing all photo albums

Go to HomeRunning MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2024 PD9 Software
(Delete all cookies set by this site)